Tiny Earth, Big Solutions!
Each November, the World Health Organization recognizes World Antibiotic Awareness Week (WAAW). Join Tiny Earth to increase awareness of antibiotic resistance and tackle the antibiotic crisis head-on by participating in this November’s Antibiotic Awareness Campaign November 18-24, 2019.
To participate, Tiny Earth students are challenged to create media content to raise awareness about the implications of antibiotic resistance and encourage others to act. Submit by November 30 to be reviewed in the competition!
Updates on the campaign will be posted to our new Instagram account at @TinyEarthNet.
How to Enter
- Create your media content about the antibiotic crisis. Use a format described below or create your own!
- Share your media content in one of the following ways:
- Your full name and school
- Hashtags: #TinyEarthBigSolutions #AntibioticsBeware
Antibiotic Awareness Campaign Ideas
Use these ideas or create your own! (Remember to get permission from your instructor if you are doing something on campus and follow the posting rules for online platforms.)
- Make a Meme – Capture the essence of the antibiotic-resistance crisis in a clever meme format.
- Post an Instagram Story – Show the real consequences of overuse in antibiotics, in a serious or humorous way.
- Generate Buzz– Create an online interactive quiz on twitter or Buzzfeed to spread awareness on antibiotic resistance.
- Produce a Video (max 3 minutes) – Direct a public-service announcement. Consider answering some of the following questions: What is antibiotic resistance? Why should you be concerned? What can you do about it? Where would you expect to find microbes that produce antibiotics?
- Write a Song– Make a funny song or lip sync about something related to antibiotic resistance.
- Passionate about something else?– Consider how you might incorporate that into our Tiny Earth, Big Solutions challenge!
Media will be judged in 4 categories: memes, videos, public service announcements, or miscellaneous (anything goes, get creative in making your own ideas come to life). Content should focus on awareness of antibiotic resistance and antibiotic use. Examples from last year’s campaign can be found HERE.
Top winners in each of the 4 categories will have the chance to earn prizes such as:
- A travel grant to the Tiny Earth Symposium at the University of Wisconsin-Madison (June 2020)
- Giant stuffed microbes
- Tiny Earth swag
- And more!
Winners will be featured on the Tiny Earth Instagram and website.
Deadline: Friday, November 30, 2019
How Prizes Will be Awarded:
The winners will be selected based on the accuracy, creativity, and reach of their submissions. A Selection Committee will include Tiny Earth staff, Tiny Earth Partner Instructors, and Tiny Earth collaborators. Any conflicted parties will not vote on the final winners. Submissions in multiple categories will be reviewed in all categories but can only win once.
By submitting an entry, entrants agree that the Tiny Earth may use, repost, and publish entries. Entrants will be credited if/when their entries are used.